All Creatures Veterinary Hospital
4549 HW 62 West
Mountain Home, AR 72653
(1) Puppies should receive puppy shots every three weeks until they are four months (16 weeks)
old. That is four sets of shots in all, ideally at 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks old. It is very important for
puppies to receive a full set of puppy vaccinations. Diseases such as parvo or distemper can result if all four sets are
(2) If a puppy is older than 6 weeks old when it gets its first set of shots, it should still get four sets of shots three weeks apart.
(3) At 16 weeks old, a puppy can receive a rabies shot. Arkansas law requires that all dogs receive a rabies vaccination from a licensed veterinarian.
(4) Once a puppy receives its full set of puppy vaccinations, we recommend that it be vaccinated for distemper/parvo and rabies every year.
(5) Other vaccinations that are available are Bordatella (kennel cough) and Leptospirosis. Bordatella vaccination is recommended every six months if the dog will be boarding, attending obedience classes, groomed regularly, or involved in other activities where it is around other dogs. Puppies can be vaccinated with Bordatella vaccine at 9 and 12 weeks old. If your dog will be boarding here at All Creatures, we require proof of distemper/parvo, rabies, and kennel cough vaccinations. If proof cannot be provided, we will vaccinate the dog during its stay.
(6) Heartworm prevention should be started at 4 to 16 weeks of age. We recommend a monthly preventive called Sentinel. Sentinel should be given every month, year-round for the life of the dog. If a puppy is older than six months of age and has not started on heartworm prevention, it will need to be tested for heartworms by a blood test before starting on Sentinel.
(7) We recommend checking puppies' stool samples at every visit and treating for worms as needed.
If you have questions concerning your dog's vaccinations or would like to make an appointment, please call (870) 425-5175.